This kind of post would normally be called “things I would tell my teenage self” right? I am still a teen. I’m only 18, and sometimes I forget that! I feel I’ve grown up so much since I dropped out of college and that was only like a year and a half ago.
For that this is going to be a list of things I would tell my Past Self.
1. It’s cool to be your own best friend. Don’t worry about not fitting in, don’t compare yourself as to whether you’re as pretty or skinny as those girls. Don’t worry about whether you are too shy to ask to sit with that group at lunch. Check in with yourself every few hours; How are you feeling? You can be your own best friend.
2. Mum is always right. Ha this is something I still remind myself even now. We’ve all had those few experiences where you tell your Mum about a how a certain someone has upset you, and she will instantly have a correct judgement and solution. Once you tell your Mum someone’s a crappy person, there’s no going back.
3. Please ease up on the boy craziness! Stop spending hours on end watching YouTube videos titled “10 signs a boy fancies you”. Yes. Yes I really did that… You will get over your crush with the boy with the luscious long hair, that he constantly flicks when he’s talking to you. Stop listening to Taylor Swift ‘Teardrops On My Guitar’ And ‘Our Song’. You are going to drive yourself crazy. And you did.
4. Cherish your Grandparents. You did, and you’ve never not cherished them. However there is going to be an incredibly hard time when they might not be here anymore. Believe me, I wish they were invincible. Spend more time popping in for a cup of tea, they love you so much.
5. Get over it. All of the times you have screamed at your parents. Stomped up those stairs. Slammed your door (even though you instantly regretted it as your dad went crazy). Just get over it. You’re hormonal, we get it, believe me! I am sure that run away note would do a lot of use as the first place your parents will find you is at your Nan and Grandads. Get over it darling.
6. The length of your skirt does not determine your social status. Basically. Don’t try and be something you’re not. You do not have to have your skirt risen up to the gods and your tie as short as your patience, to show that you can be like the other girls. Don’t worry about it, spoiler alert, you never entered their group. Neither did you want to in the end.
7. Love your body! As scary as this sounds, in a few years time you will look back and laugh at all the times you had cried looking in the mirror, because girl you looked fab.
8. Stop being in such a rush to grow up. Even after only a few years down the line, I wish I could go back to a ‘some what’ stress free life. No money issues, no career issues, you have plenty of friends, you’re happier. Being young is great.
9. Be kind and speak up. You’re a good kid, you’ve stayed out of trouble. But don’t ignore what’s going on in the hallway or classroom. That boy that’s getting picked on, stick up for him. Just because you had a tough time at the beginning of school, that won’t come back don’t worry. Speak up, you have a voice use it. Bea xx